All Things Victorian

All Things Victorian
Victoriana Lady Lisa (Photo by John Thomas Grant Photography)

Thursday, March 17, 2011

I'm Proud Of My Irish Heritage



L to R: Margaret & Hilda Riley 1914

Margaret's Wedding Day


Anselm & Lucy Riley 1917
                                                         Brother Anselm's Wedding Day

 My ancestors came from County Cavan Ireland to America due to the potato famine. The women kept the house and took care of the children. Life was very hard and the days long without any modern conveniences. The men worked extremely hard in the Anthracite coal mines. The coal mined from the northeastern PA region where they settled fueled the nation during the Industrial Revolution at the turn of the century. I am very proud of the hard work and sacrifices they made so that their ancestors could have a better life. I am living proof of that American dream. The photos shown here are second generation Americans, my great grandparents & aunts. (Their parents braved leaving their home land to come to America.)

No comments:

Post a Comment