All Things Victorian

All Things Victorian
Victoriana Lady Lisa (Photo by John Thomas Grant Photography)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Victoriana Lady Filming For Oddities TV Program In Manhattan NY



I was recently notified by Leftfield Pictures, a NYC casting company, that they were interested in having me tape a segment of Oddities. I was ecstatic!



Oddities is filmed in Manhattan at the very unique Obscura Antiques shop. It's not the usual array of  China and old furniture, their items are rare and quite interesting, not for the faint of heart in some cases. I found it all fascinating!! Much of my antique Victorian Mourning & Hair Work Jewelry would be right at home in Obscura, as I was! The owners Evan & Michael were awesome to work with, as well as the entire crew.






We taped some of the segment outside the shop since it was such a warm February 14th. Other parts of the taping were shot inside, I am under contract not to discuss the show so you will have to wait until it airs. I can tell you that I was wearing a second year Mourning ensemble with a few of my Mourning pieces from my collection, at their request.

Victorian Mourning wear was the first "Off The Rack" clothing available, before that everything was sewn at the time that it was needed. This presented a problem with so many untimely deaths, thus the Mourning garment business was born. By the early part of the 19th century burial garments could also be purchased. 

Oddities new season will start on April 9th, my segment will air on April 23rd, 2011, the day before my birthday- what a great gift! There are several segments in each episode, the one I am in is entitled "Three Little Piggies" and will air periodically throughout the 2012 season.



Historian/author/speaker Victoriana Lady Lisa Lewis after the filming of Oddities-









Victoriana Lady Lisa- Bringing history to life since 2003

To book a program please contact me - Victorianaladylisa@gmail.com





4 comments:

  1. I do enjoy that show. How fun to be a part of it and in time for a special Valentine's Day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat!! I love that show. I can't wait to see it, you looked like you were having a great time! very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that super! We will be watching for it. My friend Greg in Pennsylvania (www.teardropmemories.com) collects & sells Victorian mourning items and has been asked by Obscura for stuff. How fun is that! Keep us posted on channel so we can watch!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! It was so much fun filming!! The owner Evan and I hit it off so well that she has invited me to her home to see her amazing Mourning collection.
    Yes, Ruth, I am sure that Obscura has contacted TDM, his store is packed full of incredible antiques. :)

    ReplyDelete